Saturday, August 16, 2008

What have I gotten myself into...

I got mixed up in this crazy web board where the posters are all athletes, aspiring athletes, health conscious, or just plain like working out for the many health benefits. I am ...of an age... *ahem* meaning I ain't old yet but I sure as hell am not ready to be as old as I am. When I had a few less years under my belt, I picked up running just to see if I could do it. Surprise surprise, those endorphins are addictive. For a while there I was running 5-6 miles/day and doing 10Ks on the weekends, even though these were my "wild single girl" days and I was also quite dedicated to drinking, clubbing and the occasional cigarette. In my then-typical careless fashion I paid little attention to stretching, conditioning or otherwise taking care of my body so I should not have been surprised when an injury to my left knee sidelined me and lingered so long and so painfully that I gave up running entirely... until very recently.

I trained for, and ran in, the Wharf to Wharf race just this past July, a fun little 10K that goes from the Santa Cruz Boardwalk to the Capitola Wharf. I didn't break any records or beat my personal best time of nearly 20 years ago, but I was able to run the whole thing and finish more or less pain free. Encouraged by this, I decided to do more. A few friends who were doing the Santa Cruz Mtn. Trail Run talked me into signing up for the 21K. Gulp. I've never EVER tried to do longer than a 10K. Sure, I've HIKED 13 miles in a single day, and that kicked my butt.... but now I have to try to RUN it. Click on the link to the course map. You will see why I very nearly wept when I realized what I'd agreed to do...

How to prepare...?

First, I can easily run five miles after eating a decent breakfast. When I attempt longer distances I almost always run out of fuel and bonk. How to keep gas in the tank without giving myself cramps or blood sugar spikes?

Second, I am what is called "hyperextendible." In other words, I have overcooked spaghetti for connective tissue. In order to feel any kind of a stretch in my calves, I have to practically touch my shin with my big toe.... well, maybe it's not that bad, but the last personal trainer I worked with told me "I am a yoga teacher and even I can't stretch like that." Oh well. So I need tips on how to get a good stretch in my muscles so I can build up mileage, get stronger and remain injury-free and pain-free.

Third, I am what they call LAZY. Training takes dedication, planning, patience, discipline and commitment. I possess none of these traits in abundance. Therefore, this little "exercise" (if I may be permitted a small bon mot) is meant to teach me how one sets goals, works towards them and hopefully achieves them.

I am also one of those people that doesn't know when to ask for help. Thankfully, the Universe is throwing things at me, like these folks:

Fleet Feet Sports

When I lived and worked in the South Bay, Fleet Feet Cupertino was recommended to me by one of the attorneys I worked for. I was fitted for, and bought, my first pair of real running shoes there and a lasting impression was made upon me. So when I saw on their website on August 12 that they were offering coaching sessions twice a week to train for.... guess what... HALF MARATHONS... and they started on August 20, I took that as a sign that I needed to heft my lazy, chickenshit, weakly protesting hiney over there and sign up. The boy and I were on a leisurely little bike ride today and we just happened to ride over to Solano Avenue, so I really had no excuse not to drop in and speak to Brian, who will be leading the program on Wednesday night.

I cannot tell you how pumped I am to be doing this. Setting a goal, and then actually setting myself up to succeed, instead of showing up on race day not having run a yard in the previous five weeks and having to be helicoptered out after rupturing an Achilles. Plus, new research has shown that running is even more beneficial to your health than previously thought. So get out there and start shuffling.

2 comments:

wildtomato said...

Thanks for the Fleet Feet recommendation! I've been looking for a local, knowledgeable place to buy a pair of running shoes.

Glad to see you in the blogosphere. :)

Molly said...

Just remember, I haven't done any trail running so I'll be huffing and puffing up that mountain right there with you. And we can both curse the woman who got us into it in the first place :)